The Russian Street Dance Scene Represented by Matryoshki in JAZZ
















I was browsing youtube in a search for a fresh new dance inspiration when I encountered Alesya. You know that moment when you find something interesting and you immediately start digging to learn everything possible about your treasure. The same happened to me. I fell in love with Alesya and her crew Matryoshki in Jazz. They come from Russia and will make your mind go crazy. They are real house dance divas. Here is what Alesya told me about the Russian street dance scene, their crew, and this year’s HOUSE DANCE FOREVER.
















I've been dancing since 2005. I think we were almost the first generation of street dancers with right understanding of all this top styles: house, hip hop, funk styles! Access to the internet became easier, people started to travel more and we got more and more information from Europe and the USA. We were watching videos from Juste Debout Paris and inspired by this we were trying to feel it while practicing and developing our own style!



Now it is 2013 and I can surely say that I am proud of the dance scene in Russia. Our country is so huge, you can imagine it, but even in the remotest regions there are people with bright eyes learning street dance culture! I noticed it traveling a lot in my country! We got very good level in Siberia, in the south of Russia, in Saint-Petersburg, and surely in Moscow where I live right now! We are young but very hardworking and dedicated! Here in Moscow I am surrounded by very original dancers with their own style and deep understanding of dance culture and the whole life at all! And I am really inspired by this!!
















But in my opinion one problem among dancers is the lack of so-called inner groove! People practice a lot, spend so much time in dance classes, learn a lot of moves, take part in the battles! It's all good. But sometimes they cannot just chill and groove with music, just enjoying the moment of connection between your body and the music rhyme, just grooving, just interacting with other people on the dance floor in da club, just feeling the freedom! That's what I think!
















I started with hip hop, in that time we called it "new style". It was approx 2006. But after visiting one hip hop workshop I decided to stay for house! It turned out it was rather easy for me to understand the whole groove of this dance style. I started practicing it, but the main impact for developing was watching Brooklyn Terry DVD! I fell in love with footwork and still with it! I like the clearness of my steps, I like experimenting with my steps, reflecting all levels of music with my feet! I am inspired by tap dance, lindy hop, swing dancers, broadway jazz, and the underground jazz movement of UK called Jazz Fusion. I want to tell you some more about my last passion. Jazz dance or Fusion Jazz or BeBop is a dance movement that originated in the UK in the 1970s. "The style grew up in clubs in the UK, mainly in London and in northern cities, to the sounds of bebop, Afro-Cuban jazz, fusion, swing and other Latin-influenced jazz and funk."

The Interest towards this style and towards the whole jazz with its own special aesthetic this is what gathered 4 girls in one crew, called Matryoshki in jazz. It consists of me, Snow, Mari and Lea. Matryoshka is a national russian doll containing other smaller dolls inside. We use it like a symbol of our nationality, roots and heritage , it’s like a symbol of our individualities that reflects the way we live, our lifestyle.



















We dance house mostly, locking, hip hop, breaking, and jazz.
We are trying to be active as much as it is possible!!!
We do different shows



We take part in battles


We travel























We organize weekly events- Footwork House Jam. 
We collaborate with DJs, musicians, fashion designers, another crews. For example this summer in Amsterdam on the event SummerDanceForever we performed with Fusion All Stars. This show was like an exchange between 2 generations, it was unforgettable incredible moment!))))))
















We also write a blog. Check this out. There are a lot of interesting stuff about the lifestyle of dancers. http://matryoshkiinjazz.tumblr.com/
















We are always open for various interesting projects!
What I want to add  more is that we are not only members of the same dance project, but we are spiritual sisters, and when we are together it's a bomb of energy, beauty and clearness))))



So…what can I say about the event HouseDanceForever! I think it's the best! At least for me! I have been their 3 times and every time my body, my soul, my mind are inspired by the house movement! The whole atmosphere, the people, the circles, the MUSIC, the level of dancers! If you really love house, don't miss it!

Stay tuned!!!
dEsi



Unknown

If you wanna DJ, if you wanna RAP, if you wanna DANCE, if you wanna do GRAFF, if you wanna do any ART do it for yourself, don't do it for anyone else because at the end that's the most important thing!!! Caleaf Sellers

2 коментара: