Mufasa: The Female Hip Hop "Beast"















Mufasa was born in Drancy, a commune in the northeastern suburbs of Paris.  Music and dance have occupied her whole existence. When she was a little girl her dad was often listening to Bob Marley and “Lambada”. She remembers dancing in front of the TV for hours. Her mother, Dolores, had noticed that and immediately signed her to dance classes – ballet as a start.  But Mufasa had that boyish character. She even practiced football for a while. Her father was frequently out of home and her mom was forced to cope with everything - she worked at Carrefour and was a mother of 3 kids. Dolores was a super woman. At the age of 13 Mufasa and her family moved to Antibes, a resort town in the Alpes-Maritimes. There she discovered the beach, the sun, and Angelo di Monaco, doctor in modern jazz and her mentor. Since then dance is not just a hobby for Mufasa, it became a profession. Angelo taught her how to make a parallel between dance and real life, helped her to grow up. It was dance that improved her living. But dancing wasn’t possible without a diploma. So, Sandrine graduated in Communication and later in Social and Economic Administration. She even worked in an office where she found that staying for 8 to 10 hours behind a desk wasn’t for her. Mufasa had to decide whether she will continue that miserable living or will start a new being dedicated to the dance. Risk has always been a part of her existence. It can be seen even in her dance. One thing is clear Mufasa lives her dream.


This is a short story from “The Red Bulletin” magazine that Mufasa shared with me. When I asked her for that interview I wasn’t even thinking that she might answer. Well, she replied to my message and was really pleased to hear that Bulgaria loves her. Here is my personal conversation with Sandrine L. aka Mufasa – the female beast on the international hip hop scene.

How have you started?


I spent my early years in classical and modern ballet near Paris.  Later, I discovered hip hop, taking dance lessons in between my studies at the University in Nice in south of France.  After graduation, I first worked for an African company in Nice. I progressed through my first professional experiences and joined a hip hop company called  ”A New Step Ahead“, then “Bakhus” formerly called "Artefakt", as well as performing on stage at the Opera of Limoges and Montpellier.


Now you are famous in the hip hop community all over the world. Do you remember what was the feeling during your first battle?

HUNGRY !!!!!!!! And scared at the same time =]


And how did you find your stage name MUFASA?


It’s  really personal. The past experiences and the nostalgia made me choose this name.  For most of the people - it’s about my hair and my lion strength. It suits me.


You are part of EGOTRIP. How did you get together?


Egotrip' is a family made up of friends. Lili Puce, Africaris, Yvi, Pims, and me - we are all dancers, but friends  first . Our union has been always shinning. That’s why we decided to put a name on this! Egotrip comes from “egaux”. In French this means “equal “. We are on the same way. Although some people think it’s a form of egotrippin’, we also perceive it as a way to play with hip hop egos scornfully.


Our crew has so much love. We want to share things and support each other. Without them I did nothing! They represent strength and comfort, respect and crazy simplicity. This is all that I love about them. We have our proper vocabulary and at the same time we are all different: bboys, hip hop dancers, salsa dancers, modern jazz dancers, African dancers, etc. EVERYONE is open minded and that’s what makes our strength grow.

A few months ago everybody was talking about that battle with Lil’ Beast from Les Twins. How did you feel when you won that battle?

As always =] Make the moment something different. Let body talk. Feel the music, find his energy, and make a symbiosis. Play with the opponent and all good things will come from IMPROVISATION.



I have noticed that you are always walking around during a battle? What for?

Because I can’t wait to dance.

You dance with such an energy and feeling. What inspires you?

An inspiration could be a person, a color, music, imagination, memories, emotions. My energy changes all the time. I try to listen to what’s happening inside me and release it through my body. Most of the time music makes it all. 

Music. Yeah, Music. What are your favorite tracks that make you groove?

I don't like the word "favorite ".  I think in everything you can find something good and strong. It depends on your state of mind. I mean I can’t tell you my favorite track, it changes every minute, every second. If you wanna know my favorite track at this very moment:  It’s Oumou Sangaré –Mali.


You are a part of the STANDARDS project of Pierre Rigal. Where have you met him and how have you decided to participate in it?

I met Pierre Rigal during a casting. He was looking for dancers and me for work. We both found what we wanted. I find his work really interesting and I am always surprised of his talent.

And as we talk about projects could you tell us more about "The 7th Element"?

“The 7th Element” is a meeting between 6 artists. Meech told me about his idea to create a new show. I liked the team and his spirit, so we started connecting our inspirations under Meech’s directions. I really enjoyed the first part of the creation, now waiting for the next step.

You were in Bulgaria a few months ago for Sofia Dance Week. What are your memories from Sofia?

Sofia: soon!!! 
I remember people smiling, good food, positive energy, great moments with Pierre Rigal’s team, and happy meetings with dancers there - I’m dedicated to them!!!

And what is your next station?

TOKYO

What would you scream out loud if you had a loudspeaker? 

I would scream just if your loudspeaker was magical and realised wishes.


For this article I would like to thank first of all MUFASA for her support and her frank answers. I would also like to thank Gerry who helped me a lot with the translation from French.

Stay tuned!!!
dEsi

Unknown

If you wanna DJ, if you wanna RAP, if you wanna DANCE, if you wanna do GRAFF, if you wanna do any ART do it for yourself, don't do it for anyone else because at the end that's the most important thing!!! Caleaf Sellers

2 коментара: